1/9/24

diet veggie soup

Everyone I know wants to lose at least 5 lbs. And often, it is those last 5 lbs, a relatively small amount of weight, that are the hardest to lose. So stubborn! Sure they'd fall off if we starved ourselves, but we know that's not good or realistic. These are a lifestyle change 5 lbs. 

Because I'm not a dieter and I don't swear off certain food groups, my approach is to focus on healthy, sustainable habits. What can I have that would be good for me and help me trim up a bit? See the psychology there? What do I get to enjoy? vs. What do I need to cut out? 

That's where diet veggie soup comes in. I came across this idea in a health magazine a few years ago. They called it diet soup. I will share my recipe, but it's mostly a concept, a formula. 

root vegetables + broth + canned tomatoes + beans + greens



diet veggie soup
extra virgin olive oil
onion diced
2 carrots diced
2 ribs celery diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
2-3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 cup of cauliflower cut into small pieces
1 can cannelloni beans drained and rinsed
1 large handful spinach chopped
1 teaspoon Italian herbs
salt and pepper to taste

Heat onion, carrots, and celery in oil on medium heat for 7-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in broth, tomatoes, beans, cauliflower, herbs, salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots and cauliflower are cooked. Add spinach 

Top with a creamy, white cheese of your choice...fresh Mozzarella, feta, goat, or ricotta. Remember this is not about deprivation. Cheese is allowed.

I made this recipe yesterday and it was the most satisfying luxurious lunch for mom on a cold, dreary January day!

2 comments:

  1. SB - I am trying this one. It looks easy and so good. Lynnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your back!! Im so excited!

    ReplyDelete