2/12/24

thrifting + the family shopping

I thrift. I've always dabbled, but these days I'm really into it! I have a lot of reasons, but my main one is I am severely disappointed with the quality of most products. I find that even paying discounted prices for new, well known, name brand items does not deliver most of the time. Combine that with the wear and tear our lifestyle puts on clothes, shoes, household items, etc. and it only makes sense to buy second hand. It's economical.

Full disclosure, it does take a little more time and skill to thrift. Even beyond that, it takes time to do the family shopping in general.

I have discovered that this needs acknowledgment. This was a real breakthrough for me. I have had to give shopping a bigger spot in my mind and in my schedule. With the ability to order everything online, it feels like it should take no time. And it also feels like something we should not do so much. Shouldn't we stop spending and acquiring so much?! But, the reality is we need stuff. Stuff to run a home and stuff to wear. Kids grow and seasons change. The family shopping is a whole thing. I repeat. The family shopping is a whole thing. So let's just give it the proper place and space it deserves. 

Okay, so now that I've accepted this is a time consuming and necessary responsibility of mine...how am I going to approach it? 

Lately, I have been taking regular trips to my local thrift stores. I try to buy second hand, first. Obviously if I can't find what I need, I buy new.

Here's a few of my recent wins...

I bought a mirror for my boys' bathroom for $15. It looks so good! I like the eclectic vibe it gives. It feels acquired and layered. 

I've been building a small collection of shoes for Jill to grow into at $2-$5/ pair. 

My oldest likes dress clothes, but he's only 14 and still growing. I've picked up some men's shirts and dress shoes for pennies. They all look brand new.

I feel so grateful when I find a deal. It feels like God specially put it there just for me! 


Recently, I wanted some casual everyday, mom-work tops. I found this oversized button down (which are so in, btw, and a 100% cotton L.L.Bean sweater. The color feels very Valentine-y). I paid total $8 for both. What a rush.


And I bought Jill's miniBoden top at a consignment sale. We are so cute!!!


Here's a couple of tips if you want to become a thrifter: 

1. Just because it's cheap does not mean you have to have it. Only buy it IF you need it and if you LOVE it. It needs to be a 10 out of 10.

2. Go regularly. Buy very few items and make very selective purchases. Often, if you have a win, you'll think...what else can I buy in here?! Don't. Take your one or two goodies and go back next week. 

There is beauty in restraint.

And just for fun while we're on this topic, let me share my guilty pleasure....it's kristalavrusik's instagram account. When I'm done with everything for the night, I've been doing a deep dive and going through her old reels. She has so much thrifting wisdom to share. Her focus is personal style. My favorite takeaway is that she doesn't take it all so seriously! 

Do you thrift? 

3 comments:

  1. I love your advice! And great purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thrifting for years. I have found some incredible items over the years! Nearly everything in my home is thrifted, or bought off FB Marketplace, garage sales, or given to us. I've always enjoyed the hunt and it is kind of a hobby. But, getting older and downsizing to a much smaller home has required a more discerning eye. I also can't stand clutter so I'm careful about what I buy. I do enjoy seeing the bargains other people find and how they use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good advice here! I dislike shopping but love thrifting--I think it's something about the thrill of the hunt. And a few years ago I did a deep dive on how much the environment pays for our constant accumulation of new things, and it strengthened my resolve to shop secondhand first. Your old post about how managing kids' clothes is serious business has been a lifeline for me, as someone who receives hand-me-downs and also thrifts with the future in mind (that takes a LOT of restraint, but it helps with dress clothing needs). I'm lucky that a nearby church has a lot of well-dressed parishioners and hosts a rummage sale every year, as does a nearby synagogue. I literally have navy blazers in every size ready to go, would've been hundreds purchased new and each worn just a couple of times (our church is very casual so really just for family weddings, etc.). There's definitely a learning curve with thrifting but it pays off if you stick with it. I love your finds!

    ReplyDelete