12/12/23

christmas clothing bin

I got this idea from Kate at Naptime Kitchen, a Christmas clothing bin. The concept is that you store all the children's Christmas clothes together in one box, formal and informal, tacky and not tacky, pjs and church clothes. Genius. I used to store each child's Christmasy outfits in individual rooms or hand me down storage categorized by age. On that first holiday occasion, I'd start rummaging. 

I am desperate for order this time of year! This Christmas hack has brought me a small dose of peace and quite frankly... JOY. It may be the one area I have "together," my only symbol of sanity. No I don't know what's for breakfast, but if you need a Santa hat, I'm your girl. 




I'd be lying if I told you I'm thriving right now. We were not made for such chaos. But there are lots of sweet moments in between the times I want to scream into my pillow. So I'm trying to hold onto those. 

Also, I appreciated this comment from Lauren on the post holiday overwhelm

"Raising my hand as a reformed Grinch! Really more of a reformed Scrooge. I was so "bah, humbug" about the whole thing. What I ended up doing--and I realize this is going to sound SO sanctimonious, promise I don't mean for it to--is silencing all the noise and allowing myself to be gobsmacked by the Incarnation. I mean...God decided to come down here and live as a HUMAN? And bring us all to heaven in the process? What in the world? I've used it to reframe my whole approach, and I've gotta say...it works. A couple of favorite resources from my journey: Loving My Actual Christmas by Alexandra Kuykendall, Home By Another Way by Barbara Brown Taylor, and Muppet Christmas Carol (the lyrics to the songs sound like they were written for what I was going through and what I needed to do to reframe). 

Thank you for your refreshing honesty here. It's a hard thing to talk about, but I know we aren't the only moms who have felt this way."

I'm loving your comments and the overwhelming warm response to my return to blogging. Thank you. 

1 comment:

  1. That bin--what a brilliant idea! I've been storing our holiday wear the same way you were (both Christmas and Carnival because we live in New Orleans). The holiday bin makes so much more sense, especially since t-shirts can be worn a little big one year and fit the next. Simple organization hacks like this one are the best.

    ReplyDelete